How you can benefit
Get a professional service to hone language and remove errors in:
- Training materials
- Theses and dissertations
- Online content (website pages, blog posts, articles)
I can work with a wide range of document types and offer a tailored proofreading service.
Options to suit you
Choose the way of working that suits you best.
I offer proofreading services of varying levels:
- proofreading with minimal changes – useful if time or budget is limited.
- standard proofreading – this will spot typos and inconsistencies, hone grammar and suggest ways to improve clarity.
- proof-editing – this is when the proofreader is the first person to give the document a thorough review. A proof-edit will highlight ways to improve your text as well as providing the quality checks you would expect from a proofread.
- rewriting – a more intensive option, this is when we work together to rewrite your text and enable it to reach its full potential.
Contact me to discuss what kind of service best suits your needs.
Ways of working together
You choose the document format and decide what system should be used to mark up changes. Methods of proofreading I am familiar with include:
- working on PDFs – using PDF commenting tools or BSI proofreading symbols.
- working with Word – using track changes or comments.
- working on paper – using BSI proofreading symbols or a simplified system.
If you have a PowerPoint presentation that needs checking, I can proofread it for you using PowerPoint comments.
If you can’t see what you have in mind above or want to discuss how to work together, get in touch.
I am used to working with a variety of style requirements. I can work to your preferences – or I can ensure consistency if you have no particular requirements and want to keep it simple.
What you will get
- Your document marked up with proofreading changes in the way that suits you best.
- A list of queries so that you can explore ways to improve your document further.
- If desired, a Style Sheet to accompany your document, providing a clear record of style decisions made during the project for future reference.
The best way of working together starts with a conversation. Contact me to discuss your project and develop a brief.
Send me a sample. To give me a good idea of your document, select a sample that is from somewhere in the middle of your document and about 1,000 words long. A sample lets me assess your job’s requirements and give estimates for rates and timescales – and it lets you see the service I can give you.
After agreeing terms and a timescale, the proofreading can start. During the work, I will keep in touch with you, updating you on progress and making you aware of any issues that need to be addressed early on.
I will send you a copy of your document marked up with ways to enhance it and a list of queries to help you explore further improvements.
The end result: a final version you can publish with confidence.
Nicola is an excellent proofreader with a keen eye for detail. She is polite, pragmatic and punctual, and often comes up with useful suggestions in relation to copy. Highly recommended.
Doug Nel, Lead Course Developer for Emphasis